Friday, June 6, 2014

outer reaches rumors: sylvan tomb

Once the group returns to Riverside, they gather Kanaen and discuss their findings in the Spiderwood, and begin to plan a second trip to investigate the forest tomb.

Kanaen, while absent, had actually encountered another dwarf, who is visiting Riverside from the dwarf kingdoms in the mountains far to the north along the Whitewater River.  The dwarf is an elder of the merchant caste, and is named Olin.  He listens attentively as you share the details of the tomb, and shares his knowledge on the matter.

"Dwarves did not always toil beneath the ground--at least, not all of them.  Several clans lived on the surface, farmers and shepherds, same as those folk who call Riverside home today.  Our race has declined, and now shuns the surface, but this land once rang with dwarven hammers and speech.

The elves also inhabited this land long before humans came, and built their treehouses atop dwarven ruins, long since claimed by the forest.  Not all of these ruins have faded with time, however, and some were repurposed by the elves, serving as homes, temples, that sort of thing, before the elves themselves were driven away.  It sounds like you may have stumbled upon such a ruin, and one of significance!  I would be interested in seeing this ruin myself, if you've a mind to have me along!  My arms may be too old to wield an axe with much skill, but my legs still work, as do my eyes!"

3 comments:

  1. Olin, your words have power and strength as befits a Dwarf of your standing. I too have heard of the great days of the Dwarven people and look with longing to our once great days. To have you with us would make us only stronger and I am sure you underestimate your strength with an axe. I think to go and see these ruins would benefit us in our quest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First post! 100 XP awarded, that should put you up a level for the next session!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olin beams at the respect given him from Kanaen, and you can see the old dwarf visibly reinvigorated by the prospect of adventure.

    "Give me until the morning, then. I will gather my things, and can meet you outside of town. Ahh! The thought of unearthing a great forge or temple of the old Stone Lords has awakened many memories, thank you, friend."

    ReplyDelete